This is a component under the drug demand reduction pillar which aims to reintegrate into the society recovering drug dependents.
A chance to be treated and rehabilitated is afforded to those who have fallen prey to drugs. Through the use of effective treatment modalities, drug dependents are being trained to kick out the habit and become productive citizens of the country once again.
REQUIREMENTS ON THE APPLICATION FOR THE TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION OF DRUG DEPENDENTS:
- Drug Dependency Examination (DDE)
- Drug dependents can apply for Drug Dependency Examination (DDE) with the Central Screening and Referral Unit (CSRU) at Rizal Medical Center, Pasig City.
- If a drug dependent resides outside Metro Manila, they may coordinate with their City Anti-Drug Abuse Council (CADAC) for assistance and for their resident DOH-Accredited Physician to conduct DDE.
- Police Clearance and Barangay Clearance where the drug dependent resides.
- RTC Clearance - Certificate of No Pending Case
- If drug dependent is a minor and has a pending case in Court, he/she together with his / her guardian must secure a Certification of Suspended Sentence from the RTC where the case is filed.
STEPS ON TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION OF DRUG DEPENDENT (Voluntary Submission, Voluntary thru Representation and Compulsory Confinement)
- Secure referral form for DDE at the Legal Affairs, Division, Dangerous Drugs Board.
- DDE is conducted by a DOH-accredited physician. The list of DOH-accredited physicians can be found Click here to see the List of DOH-Accredited Physicians.
- If the examination of the DOH-accredited physician results the issuance of a Certification that the applicant is a drug dependent, he/she or his parents/guardian, spouse shall submit the DDE result, together with the other requirements, to the Legal Affairs Division. The drug dependent or his parents, relatives, guardian or spouse must fill up the application form prior to the preparation of Petition for Confinement, which shall be notarized and filed with the RTC where the drug dependent resides. In the case of minor drug dependent, his/ her parent / guardian must fill up the application and submit the same for the preparation of Petition for Confinement.
- In case of compulsory confinement, his/her parents, spouse, relatives must execute an affidavit stating they are submitting for treatment and rehabilitation the alleged drug dependent. The Board will prepare a petition for confinement and file the same with the Court.
The drug dependent or his parent, spouse, relatives may decide on the treatment and rehabilitation center of their choice. The Board may recommend government treatment and rehabilitation center like DOH-TRC, Tagaytay City and DOH-TRC, Bicutan, Taguig City.
Drug treatment modality is the model or approach in the treatment of drug dependents utilized by treatment and rehabilitation centers.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach is a method in the treatment and rehabilitation of drug dependents which avails of the services and skills of a team composed of psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, occupational therapist and other related disciplines in collaboration with the family and the drug dependent.
Therapeutic Community Approach views addiction as a symptomatic manifestation of a more complex psychological problem rooted in an interplay of emotional, social, physical and spiritual values. It is a highly structured program wherein the community is utilized as the primary vehicle to foster behavioural and attitudinal change. The patient receives the information and the impetus to change from being a part of the community. Role modelling and peer pressure play significant parts in the program.
The goal of every therapeutic community is to change the patients’ self-destructive thinking and behavioural pattern, teach them personal responsibility, positivize their self-image, create a sense of human community and provide an environment in which human beings can grow and take responsibility and credit for the growth.
Hazelden-Minnesotta Model views addiction as a disease, an involuntary condition caused by factors largely outside a person’s control. The program consists of didactic lectures, cognitive-behavioural psychology, Alcoholic Anonymous principles / Twelve Steps Principles and biblio-theraphy. It aims to treat patients with chemical dependency, endorsing a set of values and beliefs about the powerlessness of people over drug taking and turning to a Higher Power to help them combat the disease. In this modality, counsellors and patients collaborate in defining the path to recovery.
Spiritual Approach uses the Bible as the primary source of inspiration to change. It views drug addiction as a sin and encourages the patients to turn away from it and renew their relationships with the Lord.
Eclectic Approach aims at applying a holistic approach in the rehabilitation program. The spiritual and cognitive components of the Twelve Steps complement the behavioural aspects of the Therapeutic Community. The skills and services of rehabilitation professionals and paraprofessionals are made available. In doing so, different personality aspects of drug dependants are well addressed geared towards their rehabilitation and recovery.
Accredited Treatment and Rehabilitation Centers
This is a listing of accredited treatment and rehabilitation centers in the country. Click here to view the list of accredited rehabilitation centers...
Manual of Operations