This is a component under the drug demand reduction pillar which aims to reintegrate into the society recovering drug dependents.
A chance to be treated and rehabilitated is afforded to those who have fallen prey to drugs. Through the use of effective treatment modalities, drug dependents are being trained to kick out the habit and become productive citizens of the country once again.
REQUIREMENTS ON THE APPLICATION FOR THE TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION OF DRUG DEPENDENTS:
- Drug Dependency Examination (DDE)
- Drug dependents may directly set an appointment with a DOH-Accredited Physician for DDE. (Click here to see the List of DOH-Accredited Physicians)
- He/she may also secure a referral form for DDE from the Legal Division of the Dangerous Drugs Board.
- If a drug dependent resides outside Metro Manila, he/she may coordinate with the nearest Treatment and Rehabilitation Center or Anti-Drug Abuse Council in his/her place of residence.
- Philippine National Police (PNP) Clearance
- Certificate of No Pending Case from the Regional Trial Court (RTC) and/or Municipal Trial Court (MTC).
- If a minor drug dependent has a pending case, secure a Certification of suspension of proceedings from the RTC or MTC where the case was filed.
- If an adult drug dependent, secure a Certification of Dismissed Case from RTC or MTC where the case was filed or Certificate that the proceeding is suspended.
STEPS ON TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION OF DRUG DEPENDENT (Voluntary Submission, Voluntary thru Representation and Compulsory Confinement)
- Secure referral form and other requirements for Drug Dependency Examination (DDE) at the Legal Affairs Division, Dangerous Drugs Board
- DDE is conducted by a DOH-accredited physician. The list of DOH-accredited physicians can be found.
- For voluntary confinement, submit the result of the Drug Dependency Examination together with the other requirements to the Legal Division of the Dangerous Drugs Board.
- The DDB Legal will process the petition for confinement (pre-signed by DDB Authorized Representative) prior to the release of petition filed by applicant with the RTC.
- The release of Petition is made either to the applicant and/or authorized representative.
- In case of compulsory confinement, the parent(s)/spouse/relative(s) shall execute and submit a statement/affidavit providing information as to the drug taking habit of alleged drug dependent.
Drug treatment modality is the model or approach in the treatment of drug dependents utilized by treatment and rehabilitation centers.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach is a method in the treatment and rehabilitation of drug dependents which avails of the services and skills of a team composed of psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, occupational therapist and other related disciplines in collaboration with the family and the drug dependent.
Therapeutic Community Approach views addiction as a symptomatic manifestation of a more complex psychological problem rooted in an interplay of emotional, social, physical and spiritual values. It is a highly structured program wherein the community is utilized as the primary vehicle to foster behavioural and attitudinal change. The patient receives the information and the impetus to change from being a part of the community. Role modelling and peer pressure play significant parts in the program.
The goal of every therapeutic community is to change the patients’ self-destructive thinking and behavioural pattern, teach them personal responsibility, positivize their self-image, create a sense of human community and provide an environment in which human beings can grow and take responsibility and credit for the growth.
Hazelden-Minnesotta Model views addiction as a disease, an involuntary condition caused by factors largely outside a person’s control. The program consists of didactic lectures, cognitive-behavioural psychology, Alcoholic Anonymous principles / Twelve Steps Principles and biblio-theraphy. It aims to treat patients with chemical dependency, endorsing a set of values and beliefs about the powerlessness of people over drug taking and turning to a Higher Power to help them combat the disease. In this modality, counsellors and patients collaborate in defining the path to recovery.
Spiritual Approach uses the Bible as the primary source of inspiration to change. It views drug addiction as a sin and encourages the patients to turn away from it and renew their relationships with the Lord.
Eclectic Approach aims at applying a holistic approach in the rehabilitation program. The spiritual and cognitive components of the Twelve Steps complement the behavioural aspects of the Therapeutic Community. The skills and services of rehabilitation professionals and paraprofessionals are made available. In doing so, different personality aspects of drug dependants are well addressed geared towards their rehabilitation and recovery.
Accredited Treatment and Rehabilitation Centers
This is a listing of accredited treatment and rehabilitation centers in the country. Click here to view the list of accredited rehabilitation centers...
Manual of Operations