What is drug abuse?
Drug abuse exists when a person continually uses a drug other than its intended purpose. This continued use can lead to drug addiction and dependency. (Also see Facts on Drugs.)

What is drug addiction?
Drug addiction refers to the behavioral condition where an individual’s need to obtain and use (especially, self-administer) drugs becomes a strong fixation. (Also see Facts on Drugs.)

What is drug dependence?
Drug dependence describes the state when an individual is dependent upon the drug for normal physiological functioning. (Also see Facts on Drugs.)

What is the DDB’s role in the national campaign against drug abuse?
The DDB is the policy-making and strategy-formulating body in the planning and formulation of policies and programs on drug prevention and control of the Philippine government. As such, the DDB creates policies and strategize the implementation of the Comprehensive Dangerous Act of 2002 (R.A. 9165). The DDB likewise initiates programs geared towards preventive education, alternative development, public awareness and international cooperation. (Also see About DDB.)

What are the most commonly used substances in the Philippines?
DDB’s 2008 National Household Survey results have cited (1) methamphetamine hydrochloride, (2) cannabis sativa or marijuana and (3) inhalants to be the most commonly abused substances in the country. (Also see Facts on Drugs.)

Why do people use drugs?
Peer pressure, want to experience drugs, and curiosity have been ranked as the top reasons for using drugs in the DDB 2008 National Household Survey. (Also see Facts on Drugs.)

How do I know if someone is using drugs?
A person using drugs will tend to exhibit behavioral changes that betray their fixation with obtaining and using drugs. These changes will reveal their disregard of negative consequences (such as losing their job, failing at school, quarreling with friends, betraying their family’s trust, falling ill, being arrested) just so they can continue using drugs. Although they may think they can stop using drugs any time they want to, most often they cannot.

To help, support them as they will need professional help and appropriate intervention such as counseling or treatment and rehabilitation. (Also see Facts on Drugs) You may contact us via this website and our social networking accounts or over the phone (+63-8929-1753) for other queries and means of helping a person recover from dependency.

How can I obtain Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials on drug abuse prevention?
The DDB produces several IEC materials for the general public. These collaterals, along with other publications of the Board, may be downloaded from this site (Also see Downloads) and distributed during trainings and events.

How can I participate in or request for preventive education programs, such as trainings and seminars?
The DDB, through its Preventive Education, Training and Information Division (PETID) welcomes requests for trainings, seminars, event launches as well as campaigns in schools, communities and other settings. (Also see Prevention.)

Interested parties may contact us via this website and our social networking accounts, over the phone (telefax: +63-8929-6638), or by writing to the Executive Director to the following address:

Usec. Earl P. Saavedra

Executive Director
Dangerous Drugs Board
3rd Floor, DDB-PDEA Bldg.,
NIA Road, East Triangle,
Diliman, Quezon City 1102

What is facility based/treatment based data?
Facility/treatment based data are data gathered from the residential and out-patient treatment and rehabilitation centers in the Philippines.

Can I obtain copies of DDB researches and use its findings?
Yes. You just have to write a letter addressed to the Executive Director of the Dangerous Drugs Board stating the purpose of the research and the data or information needed.


What is the difference between DDB Certification and Certificate of Exemption?

A DDB certification is issued to attest that substance/s manufactured or imported by companies are not included in the list of dangerous drugs and controlled precursors and essential chemicals. A Certificate of Exemption, on the other hand, is issued to exempt products/ preparations containing dangerous drugs and/ or controlled substances that are below and above the 30% threshold from certain regulatory control measures. (Also see Board Regulation No. 3, Series of 2003 for more details)

What are the guidelines pharmacists must remember when dispensing dangerous?
The Board set forth several regulations and resolutions and other issuances to guide medical practitioners in the handling and dispensing of dangerous drugs. Among others, pharmacists should ensure that the following requirements are met before dispensing dangerous drugs: personalized prescription which shall contain the date of prescription, name of patient, name of prescribing physician, PTR , S2 License Number, address, telephone number, brand name or generic name of the drug, total number of units to be supplied in words, followed by its equivalent in Roman numerals enclosed in parenthesis; specified direction for use, words “non-repetition”; and signature of the prescriber. In addition, a valid ID should be presented by the buyer. The type of ID used and its number should be written at the back of the prescription along with the full name and address of the buyer. (Also see Board Regulation No. 3, Series of 2003; Board Regulation No. 7, Series of 2007 and Board Regulation No. 4, Series of 2009 for more information)

What is Annex Form “A” and how shall it be used?
The Annex Form “A” can be used by pharmacists in hospitals and similar institutions to keep records of dangerous drugs dispensed in the in-patient wards. Only a licensed pharmacist or a licensed practitioner in a dispensary of an institution shall issue a requisition for dangerous drugs or drug preparations.

Can dangerous drugs be prescribed for therapeutic purposes?
A licensed practitioner could prescribe, administer, or dispense dangerous drugs for therapeutic purpose to a person diagnosed and treated for a condition resulting in intractable pain provided that this diagnosis and treatment have been documented in the practitioner’s record. The prescription cannot exceed 100 dosage units or a 31-day supply, whichever is higher.

Can a person travelling to the Philippines be allowed to bring in dangerous drugs or drug preparations for their medical use/treatment?
International travellers are allowed to carry quantities of dangerous drugs or drug preparations for their medical use and treatment, provided that they have the following documents:

  1. Original copy of a Certification from the attending physician that the patient needs the drug for the medication.
  2. Specific dates of arrival and departure from the Philippines.
  3. Original copy of prescription issued by the duly licensed attending physician/ doctor.